As Lynchburg’s job search experts, Adams & Garth knows that too often candidates go to interviews expecting to be interrogated. But when it comes to determining whether or a not a potential job is right for you, it’s vital that you conduct your own cross-examination. The last thing you want is to accept a position that isn’t at all what you thought it would be – just because you didn’t ask the right questions during the interview.
Asking questions can help you dig deeper and learn more about the culture, the company leadership, their management style and employee retention. These are all critical factors when it comes to deciding whether the opportunity is a good match not just for your skill set, but for your personality and lifestyle as well.
To help you assess your next potential job, be sure to ask these questions:
1. How long did the last person who held the position stay?
2. Why did they leave?
3. What are some of the obstacles of this job?
4. What constitutes success in this position?
5. Can you tell me more about the team I would be working with?
6. Can you tell me about my potential boss’s management style?
7. What kind of person meshes well with it?
8. How would you describe the company culture?
9. What’s one thing you would change about the culture if you could?
10. What do you like most about working here?
11. What do you like least?
12. What types of people tend to thrive within the company?
13. What types of people wouldn’t fare as well in it?
14. What are the company’s plans for new products or growth?
Also, before the interview ends, be sure ask the interviewer about the next steps in the hiring process, as well as when they expect to make a hiring decision. If you don’t, you’ll spend the next week agonizing about your performance in the interview, whether you got the job, and when you’ll get a call about it. When you ask about next steps too, it gives you an opening to follow up with the interviewer if you don’t hear back within the allotted time. So, for instance, if they told you they’d make a decision by Friday and it’s now the following Tuesday, it’s perfectly acceptable for you to follow up.
Looking for a great new job in Lynchburg? Call Adams & Garth. As Lynchburg’s job search experts, we can offer you a variety of services to help you find a new job and advance your career. Contact us today to learn more or search our Lynchburg jobs now.