As one of the leading staffing agencies in Staunton and Central Virginia, Adams & Garth knows good communication skills are vital regardless of the industry or field you work in. And while a really bad communicator is easy to spot, one that’s sub-par or just so-so can be more difficult. They may be able to “fake it” during the interview, only to fall short once on the job.
To help ensure you hire the people you need – with strong communication skills – here are some questions to ask during the interview process:
- How would your past boss or co-workers describe you?
- Give me an example of a time where you feel you communicated effectively.
- Have you ever been a part of a team project and felt out of the loop? What did you do about it?
- Describe a time when your supervisor didn’t communicate sufficiently with you. What did you do about it?
- Describe a time when you were able to persuade or influence others in the workplace. How did you do it?
- Different organizations communicate to their employees in different ways. In order for you to work most effectively, how does communication within an organization need to work?
- In the past, when you’ve started work on a new job, how have you gotten to know your colleagues?
- Describe a time when you had to explain a complicated concept to someone. How did you do it?
- Tell me about a time when you failed to communicate well. What happened? What did you learn from it?
- Would you describe yourself as a good listener? Why?
Another way to assess a candidate’s communication skills is to pay attention to how they interact with others. So introduce them around to staff members and watch how they relate to them. This information, along with their answers to the above questions, can put you well on your way to understanding each candidate’s communication abilities.
Need Help Hiring a Good Communicator?
If you do, let Adams & Garth know. As one of the leading staffing agencies in Staunton and Central Virginia, we can handle the hiring process for you from start to finish, so you get the new hire you need without all the hassle. Give us a call today if you’d like to learn more.